Thursday, June 5, 2008

原来是这样的... The story of Rosti

Rosti... a young guy married to Rose, therefore called Rosti. haha. of course not la!

Rosti, is actually a potato dish originated from Switzerland. When one mentions about Switzerland, we usually think about cheese, if not skiing (ok, this is not food), so what about wine? But, very rarely people associate Switzerland with potatoes.

But the fact is, rosti is a national dish of Switzerland. What they do is, they pluck their potatoes from under the ground from their garden - fresh ingrediants are usually the best. Then they wash and boil a bit the potatoes, peel off skin and grate the potatoes into thin slices. Then they heat the pan, melt the butter and just fill the pan with the potatoes and let the bottom turn golden brown (about 5 minutes) and flip them over (by turning it over on a plate and slide it again back to the pan) and let the other side turn golden brown and that's it!

Sounds easy right? So I thought. And there I went into the kitchen, trying to whip up my own Rosti. Blame the utensil - the grater is too small the hole, I actually ended up with something like a fried mashed potatoes. Really sad.. very frustrated also because the kitchen got lots of mosquitoes flying around and very hot. The taste, however, remains great - who doesn't like french fries?? (PS: 本来做了放在一旁不懂要怎样处理,但是爸爸拿起来, 尝了一口立刻说'好吃啊!'就帮我统统吃下。hehe. 好感动)

But later I found this picture in Wiki , which pretty much resembles my Rosti. hehe.. Hmm... Looks like I can 安慰 myself that I'm pretty much on the right track, just that the Rosti I tried in Marche was much much more presentable.

I actually got to know about this dish after visiting Marche restaurant in The Curve. Marche is actually a German French word for market. What's special about this restaurant is they give you a 'passport' (essentially a card) to collect chops for the dishes you ordered and in the end you settle the 'passport' at the cashier before you leave. Misplacing the 'passport' entails a fine of RM200 - donated to your charity of choice. Cunning huh.

We had a great time there (time with sisters are always the best!) - the atmosphere was very warm and lively - just like a pasar. The tables and chairs are of different themes - next time gonna sit on the chair with a 'fruit face' hehe.

3 comments:

Min said...

wei, where is your rosti's pic? You should capture some photos then I give you some comments, haha. Or too ugly to show?

sanmin said...

I had Rosti at marche too! hehehe yesterday... Love Rosti :D


Thought Marche is actually a french word???

June said...

Min: Very sad over my dish, so no mood to take picture la... :(

San min: Wow, nice hor. ;-) Ya Marche is a french word ah...

 
design by suckmylolly.com